Founded in 1911, Blick Art Materials is in its third generation of family ownership, and is the largest and oldest provider of art supplies in the United States.
At Blick Art Materials, our family owners and dedicated staff support the Visual Art Community by providing the widest selection of art supplies at the lowest prices. With extraordinary service and integrity, we strive to provide artists, educators, students, and our employees with the tools, assistance, and training they need to grow, innovate, and reach their creative potential.
By exhibiting exceptional teamwork, boundless curiosity, and the utmost care, the General Manager will lead their team to fulfil Blick’s commitment to our customers, the Arts, and our local communities. Responsibilities include,
• Supervise the Assistant Manager(s), Key Holder(s), Receiver, Framer (if on staff), and Sales Associates; train and develop store management in all aspects of the business; direct and monitor training and development for all associates; continually evaluate and react to performance issues; and actively recruit, interview and hire management and associate candidates.
• Contact and meet with current and potential House Account customers on a regular basis, process House Account orders, maintain and develop customer relationships as outlined by the National Sales Manager.
• Drive revenue by ensuring associates are providing our customers with outstanding customer service, helpful product knowledge, building individual customer relationships and handling all customer contacts in a friendly, courteous and professional manner.
• Regularly reviews and monitors all aspects of inventory management including Vendor Direct Orders, Special Orders, Min/Max changes, PDA Adjustments, Weekly Cycle Counts, Store to Store transfers, returns to D.C., RTVs, shipment processing, and shipping discrepancies.
• Maintain a regular routine of maintenance and housekeeping to ensure safety of associates, customers, and protection of company assets.
• Plan and coordinate of merchandise set ups, visual compliance, promotional signage compliance, layout changes, and ability to implement and maintain the store as set forth by Blick Management.
• Shift supervision, including opening and closing the store, managing payroll, creating weekly schedule, staff tasks and duties assigned on a daily basis.
• Provide input to the District Manager concerning customer needs, new products, competition and pricing.
• Implement local marketing initiatives at store level while ensuring compliance to National Marketing programs.
• Understands and manages the store financial performance, including controlling shrink, expenses and payroll, utilizing the annual budget and monthly Profit & Loss statements.
• Timely processing of inter-company communications and forms, payment of bills, and payroll reporting.
• Ensure compliance to all Dick Blick Company Policies and Procedures, loss prevention initiatives, and operational controls.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Excellent Communication Skills.
• Willing and able to relocate for future opportunities if required.
• Minimum of two nights per work week. Must close Friday and Saturday a minimum of one weekend per accounting period, minimum of one Sunday per accounting period.
• Elevates Service Standards
• Builds High Performing Teams
• Champions Core Values
The General Manager directly and indirectly supervises all personnel within their store location and is responsible for leadership of the associates in the store.
• Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds while using the appropriate lifting techniques and following all safety rules.
• Prolonged walking, standing and climbing ladders.
• Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel is expected.
• High School Graduate, College preferred but not required.
• Three years of previous retail management experience or one year of employment with Blick.
• Demonstrated superior sales performance throughout career.
• Demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, and supervise personnel.
• Computer literate, including Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the associate for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.